• Arts Award Adviser (Bronze and Silver) , April 2012
• QTLS (Qualified Teaching and Learning Status), August 2010: awarded by the IFL (Institute for Learning)
• University of Bolton, Sept.2008-July 2009: Post Graduate Diploma in Education Level 6
• Manchester Metropolitan University, Sept. 2003-July 2006: BA(Hons) Embroidery
• Leeds College of Art and Design, August 2001-June 2002: BTEC Diploma in Art and Design – Distinction
Kinross Wolaroi School, Orange, NSW, Australia
• Textiles and Visual Arts workshops with students of all ages
• Provided unique knowledge of subject area, including introductions to new techniques and artists to students studying at a grade equivalent to A Level
• Contributed to the nomination of four students for the Art Express Exhibition at the Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
• Organisation and promotion of student exhibition
• Development and execution of my own artwork for exhibition
Solo Exhibitions and Shows
SURFACE TENSION, The Bowery, Leeds, UK (Sept. - Nov.2012) Invitational
• Installation exploring the tensions between fine art and craft
SHOWCASE, Gateway Gallery, Luton Airport, UK (May - July 2011) Invitational
• Collection of work from degree show to present day
Drawing Threads, Orange Regional Gallery, NSW, Australia (August-Sept.2010) Invitational
• Collection of 3d and wall based artwork based on my experiences during the residency at Kinross Wolaroi School (catalogue)
Selected Group Exhibitions and Projects
• Home is Where the Needle Marks, POP(art) Gallery, LA, USA (June 2012 - July 2012) Juried
• Platform Gallery Open Exhibition, Platform Gallery, Clitheroe (July – Oct. 2011) Juried
• User Generated Content, Madlab, Manchester (June 2011) Juried
• Textile Tantrums, Touring exhibition inc. Australia and UK (May 2010-Feb.2011) Juried
• UK Craft Mafia Exhibition, Manchester Craft and Design Centre, Manchester (March-May 2009) Invitational
• Inspire, Legal Action Gallery, Israel (April-May 2008) Juried
• Newcomers’ Gallery, British Craft Trade Fair, Harrogate (April 2008) Juried (catalogue)
• Valentine’s Exhibition, Royal Exchange, Manchester (Feb.2008) invitational
• All Wrapped Up, Heart Gallery, Hebden Bridge (Nov.2007-Feb.2008) Invitational
• NOISE Festival, Online Gallery, Manchester (2006) Juried
• Visual Rockstars, Outside Institute, London (August- Sept.2005)
• Kinross Wolaroi School, NSW, Australia (2010)
• Tate Britain, Tate Library and Archive London (2006)
• University of Western England, UWE Bristol school of Art, Media and Design (2006)
• Queensland State Library, Brisbane, Australia (2006)
• Yale Centre for British Art, USA (2006)
Selected Creative Experience
• Stroud International Textiles, Stroud (May 2012) One day workshop in hand embroidery.
• Global Grooves/ Cabasa Carnival Arts, Manchester (March – July 2012) Lead Textile Artist on Junk Jam. Designing and realising costumes using recycled materials for over 180 participants. Experience of managing large numbers of volunteers working towards this huge project for Manchester Day Parade.
• HMYOI Wetherby, Wetherby (Feb.2012 - ) Part time Art Tutor in Keppel Unit working with vulnerable young men who suffer from a range of mental health issues: aged between 15-18.
• The Square Chapel, Halifax (Jan.2012 - ) Lead artist for Youth Arts Group
• Hipperholme and Lightcliffe High School, Halifax (Sept.2011- Dec.2011) Part time maternity cover in the Art Department. Teaching KS3 and GCSE students.
• The Beaconsfield School, Buckinghamshire (June-July 2011) Creative Partnerships projects with Year 9 Textile students, Gifted and Talented and Lemonwedge (vulnerable/ behavioural difficulties) groups. Activities included print making and felt making techniques to interpret a poem.
• Orange Regional Gallery, Australia (July 2010) Series of school holiday workshops including recycled jewellery making and stuffed toy/ monster making.
• Lymm High School, Lymm (April 2009) Artist’s Talk to GCSE and A level students
• Platform Gallery, Clitheroe (Jan - March 2009) ‘Skatebored’ project. 6 weeks of workshops with young people to design and embroider onto skateboards, culminating with a self-curated exhibition at the gallery.
• Todmorden Community College, Todmorden (Oct.2008-July 2009) Lecturer on City and Guilds Embroidery, HND and Art Access courses.
• Urbis, Manchester (Oct.2008) Recycled accessories workshop as part of Manchester Fashion Week.
• Playstation 3, Manchester (Sept.2008) Series of customisation workshops based around the ‘Little Big Planet’ game.
• Zion Centre, Manchester (August 2008) Fashion and sewing skills workshop for young people.
• Salford Council (July -August 2008) 3 weeks of art and crafts workshops as part of a playscheme for Little Hulton/Walkden local council. Including: weaving, badge and mask making.
• Our Ladys’ RC Sports College (Feb.2008) Paper making workshop with fast track and current GCSE Art students.
• Guerilla Embroidery, Manchester (March 2007 -) Self employment. Designing and making my own range of embroidered artworks and exhibiting all over the world.
• START, Salford (2006) Volunteer at art sessions working with young people with mental disabilities
Awards and Competition Placements
• TEXTILE Fiber Forum, Bursary for scholarship attendance (2010)
• Hand and Lock Stitch Competition, Top 10 Placement (2004)
• Judy Darley (July 2011). An Interview with Sarah Terry, Cross Stitcher Magazine, issue 241, p.24-25
• Alice Kettle and Jane McKeating (2010). Machine Stitch: Perspectives. London: A&C Black Publishers. p100-101.
• Grace Johns, September 16-22 2010, Sewing Threads, Central West Photo News, p.21
• ABC Radio, Australia, Interview (August 2010)
• Brenda Gray, August 14th 2010, Exhibition Draws on Nature, Central West Daily, p.22
• Anastasia Grabov, May 2009, Community Spirit, Quick and Crafty, issue 59 p.50-53
• March 26th 2009, Crafty Skateboarders, The Clitheroe Advertiser And Times, front page
• Nov.2008, Sarah’s Style Stands Out From the Crowd, Halifax Courier, centre-fold
• May 2008, Best in Show BCTF, Giftware Review, p.34
• March/April 2008, Newcomers Deliver Artistic Quality at British Craft Trade Fair, Craft and Design, issue 196, p. 10
• September 2011, HOOPLA: The Art of Unexpected Embroidery. Vancouver: Arsenal Pulp Press. p. 254-259
• February 2011, Reasons to do a Residency, TEXTILE Fiber Forum Magazine, issue 1, No.101, p.26-27
• Marthe le Van (2009). Stitched Jewels. New York: Lark Books. p72-75.
• IFL (Institute for Learning)
• AIR (Artist’s Information Network)
• Confident and skilled textile and embroidery artist
• Wide range of textile specific processes including print and dye
• Skilled artist/painter
• Print including drypoint, screen-print, collograph
• Confident design abilities
• Workshop co-ordinator and creator
• Book binding
• Paper making
• Organisation and selection of work for exhibition